Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Livelihood

Work is necessary.

For me work means differently at different times of my life. When I started working after finishing my University, fresh face and innocent, work meant achieving an ambition. An ambition to be a professional. To start earning to help my folks. To become independent. To be adult. To explore the world of working. I was not a student anymore. I was done with studying and exams.

Then in the next stage, work became an obsession. An obsession to perform. To do well. To further my career. This was the busiest time of my life. I only worked and slept during the 24 hr day. Work was my life. Without work I was nothing. I can work overtime without any pay. Nights or weekends did not matter.

Then after a few years, with the experience gained and the youth, my market value increased. Work meant traveling overseas which I liked and enhancing living experience. Making more money. Work meant applying my capability and experience. Work became a status symbol for me.

Now, work means something totally different. Work means being away from the kids. Work means I couldn’t take care of the kids myself to see them grow in front of my eyes. Work means I have to let others did my duties as a mother. Work is a sacrifice I made. Work is just to earn my living.