Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bad Design


I am prone to falling whenever I walked on the public pavement or footpath. Along the road, at the gas stations, in the park, everywhere in this country. It happened so many times I developed what is called a weak ankle condition. Any slightest variation in the ground level will trip me. Wearing heels don't help but I'm addicted to shoes with heels. So I was always careful when walking, I always fear the fall. But here in this area, dangers surround me.

The last time I trip and fell on all fours was at the gas station just a couple of months ago. I was trying to pressure up the car tyres. While going around the car, I lost my balance due to a groove on the station pavement. I scratched my knees badly. I still have the scars. I didn't sprained my ankle but it hurt like hell. Not to mention the embarassment that accompanied the pain. Both my ankle and my ego was hurt badly.

So this afternoon I walked with two friends. One of my friends tripped and fell flat on the pavement. I felt so sorry for her. Her purse flew a couple of feet away. I didn't manage to catch her, neither did the guy walking behind us. There was a groove on the pavement that tripped her. This footpath is really bad. You can find all kind of faults. It has 45 deg slope, 30 deg slope, even 60 deg slope, nicks here, groove there, ripple here, wavy there, small holes, big holes, you named it. But this is a path hundreds of people use everyday to go to lunch during the office break. It stretches over 3 to 4 km joining from building to building. I don't know how many people have suffered the falls on this stretch. The path is not pram friendly ( really don't try to push a baby on a pram here), not high heels friendly, not pregnant women friendly, not elderly friendly, even not anything friendly.

Where is the responsible party or is this not their concern?