Friday, July 4, 2008

What the children eat

We have a maid at home basically to just look after the house. The children are absent from home during the day. After some time, I started to leave the cooking for the family to her. Then I noticed my family having fewer and fewer meals at home even though the cooking is done everyday. My children don't want to eat any of the dishes. Fatini will take rice and kicap only.
Lately I began to think what have i been feeding my family. Why I trust some body else to prepare food for my children. You see, the cooking is done by the maid with all the necessary ingredients but the children didn't want to eat. I also hardly want to eat. My husband was just not keen as well. Something is lacking in the food preparation.... No it's not Aji-No-Moto. It lacks the ingredient called love. It lacks the good intentions for health and well being for the children. It lacks the mother's touch.

I begin to feel sad when i think about it.

So I started last night cooking a simple fried rice. When I cooked I gave lots of thoughts for it. What my children like, what my husband like. I made sure it's really clean and fit for us to eat. Nutritions and taste all taken into account. I am doing it out of love. The food is prepared out of love. Minimum salt, minimum fat, nutritious, hygenic and with a good intention. For the first time i had a clean bowl last night.

My point is ... i know sometimes we are too busy and too tired to cook when we get home. I know we want to sit and rest and spend time with the children. But what we feed the children is also very important because it becomes flesh and blood. Nothing is the same as food prepared by mothers and wife. I remember my mom's cooking until now even though I hated the meals when i was small but I missed it now when I am fully grown up.

So I am determined that no matter how little time I have, I am going to make sure my fingers are the ones feeding my children.