Tuesday, July 8, 2008

In material sense

Today I want to be materialistic and talk about money. Money is a real issue in life and should not be disregarded. Good and bad things happen because of it.

When it comes to money I am categorized as careful. That does not mean I am stingy or I didn’t splurged on clothes and jewelleries, designer handbag and shoes. I have had all that more than any average person. But I never forgot savings. I have been a regular saver until now. I do investment as well but more on the unit trust thing to be on the safe side. I don’t take risk to lose money by doing hardcore investment because it’s so damn hard to earn it to just lose it over a blink of an eye.

I have been saving money since my childhood as long as I can remember. My earliest memory of childhood in this saving thing, is when I saved the 3 ringgit my father gave me and each of my siblings when we fast the full month of Ramadhan, well not exactly full month was achieved but that was the target. I also remember the piggy bank made of bamboo stick where I dropped in coins everyday taken from my school pocket money. As I grow up, I saved money little by little. When I was in the university, at the time I was in England, I worked and saved the money instead of spending it. When needs arise some times I end up with negative money in the bank (there was limited debit allowed in my account at the time).

When I started working after finishing my study I gave some parts of my salary to my parents in my desire to see them live well and comfortable. Then I managed to buy a condominium all by myself. I still keep the condo until now. It’s really one of my prides to benchmark the achievement at the time.

I started to earn more when I was offered to work overseas. I was still single back then, a little bit old for most woman to remain single, oddly I felt good in my aspiration to explore what life has to offer me. I spent a few years overseas and I began to accumulate my “wealth”, work experience and enhance my profession.

Now I am married, have children and have a well paid job. I feel so blessed and lucky in my life even though I have been through many hardships before. My savings which was there for years accumulate dividends on compounded basis. It has become a comfort cushion for my family and children’s future education.

I want to instill this value in my children which was instilled in me by my father. A value such that as they grow up they learn to be grateful and appreciate their parents and the sacrifice made. To value every single cent provided by parents to raise and educate them. I do not seek for any retribution or payback from my children but enough is their love, respect and gratitude.