Thursday, July 31, 2008

Life's a cycle

Both my parents stay in my home town. My father is ill, have been bed ridden for more than a year now. I feel helpless as far as he is concern. Unable to help. Don’t know what else to do. I should have been there more often. He doesn’t even talk anymore. He doesn’t seem to care for anything anymore. I feel so sad when I think about it. It’s hard for me to see him like that. I pray God for his health. We have a nurse come in every single day to check on his condition. My siblings and I decided to maintain the nurse visit for every single day.

My mother is getting old. She’s already past early 60s. I know she feels lonely at times. She complained so to me. Not much to do she said. When I called her sometimes she said nobody was at home. Just her and my father. We gave her a maid to help her with the house and with my father so that she doesn’t feel too stressed. Having the nurse daily for her referral also makes her less worried.

When we were children, our parents were like us now. Healthy, strong and capable. Busy managing family and work. One day they became old. And we were left with memories of happier times with them. And one day we’ll be like them. Older and counting days. Missing our children who are adults and seldom home. Life is really a cycle.