Friday, July 18, 2008

School, Item 2

I have written subject on schools previously. This piece is to let you know the progess in my pursuit to find a suitable education for my children.

My strategy in my children development includes provisions to develop proficiency in three main languages i.e Bahasa Melayu, English and Mandarin. These language development have to be started in early age and my planning for the children schooling will include this into consideration. I believe language development in children enhances their brain development and additionally will prepare them for the mixed society/culture. I have noticed Fatini has begun to pick up Mandarin words and her pronunciations are very impressive because she is still very young.

I have not ruled out Public Schools or any private education providers. I have these options to consider for early/primary educations.

Option 1
Kindergarten: English Medium with Mandarin and Bahasa Melayu subjects.
Speech&Drama and MusicGarten once a week. For Emir, the Spech&Drama class is a parent-accompanied program.
Quran recital guide twice a week.
Status - On going.
I have been looking out for signs of overburdening my children. So far they have enjoyed all the activities especially Speech&Drama class which is on Saturday morning. I will pull out any of the activity if I see any sign of stress or activity overload.

Primary Std 1-2 : Chinese Public School to immerse them in Mandarin Language

Primary Std 3-6 : Private School . I have considered the following schools mainly for logistic reason i.e. Sri Chempaka (Damansara), Sri KDU (Kota Damansara), Seri Cahaya (Shah Alam), Sri KL (Subang Jaya), Sri Tenby (Shah Alam). Others further are Sri Garden (Taman Maluri), Sri Sedaya (Kelana Jaya) and Sri Inai (PJ)

Option 2
Kindergarten: As per Option 1.

Primary Std 1 -6 Private schools as listed above with Mandarin, English, B.Melayu as subjects

Public Schools are free while Private schools are quite costly. I have checked that for private schools in Malaysia, the average fees per year per student ranges about RM10,000 -15,000 per year depending on the schools. I know that I must at least have these funds available to support their educations for a period of 6 years. I am still pondering on the above options and have a few more months to decide.