Thursday, July 10, 2008

Which school?

I read somewhere some time ago that it is the mother who can actually determine how great a person can turn out to be when they become adults. Lot’s of great people in history have exceptional mothers. Maybe because mothers spent a lot of time thinking for the children like their food, health, clothes, education and their future. Also mothers always pray for the children and mother’s doa is insyallah be granted by God. I am not saying fathers are not important. By nature fathers take on the heavier responsibility to provide the means for the family to survive and to take away all the hardships. Fathers/Husbands are the figure to provide strength and shelter us from maladies.

So me like any mother I guess, is always thinking and planning in advance for my children. One of my main concerns is their education. What I mean by educations is not purely academic but more towards development, to strengthen them physically and mentally in the journey to become independent adults.
For the past few months I have been thinking hard about my children primary school because by next year I already have to start register Fatini at one of the schools.

There are lots of public schools around and they are allright. I was educated in public school and then in boarding school for my secondary years and I turned out allright. But times have changed. Nowadays we demand for the greatest quality in everything. We used to be happy to work in a Government sector but nowadays people opt for private companies or overseas assignment to vary work experiences and to earn more. So is with education. I believe my children deserve the best that I and husband can provide in their education.

My concerns regarding schools are either they are too focused on academics achievement therefore giving children unnecessary pressure not to mention that some teachers are just not dedicated and interested enough in children development ( I am not saying all teachers). There are also schools having discipline problems and schools which do not have enough safety measures and assurance. Apart from that I found that students nowadays need to be given extra tuition classes after school hours despite of long hours spent in school itself. So what has gone wrong? I never had tuitions when I was studying. Tuitions nowadays are so expensive. For a couple of subjects you can spend a thousand ringgit or more on each child. I also don’t like the idea of forcing children to spend time on tuition classes at night. I rather they learn how to study by themselves. I found that the principle of tuition is more inclined towards techniques to pass examinations rather than help these students to think and develop.

I don’t know which type of school I will send my children yet. I guess there will be quite some work for me to do for research in the next few months.