Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A fine young woman


Last 17th December my eldest niece Ashley Faizah turned 19 years old. Remember our 19th birthday? Hmm it was so long ago, but I still remembered mine, I was with my dearest friends back in college.
A few years after the 19th birthday it was about a child turning into a young woman. For my niece, I am glad to say she has turned out to be a fine and good looking young woman. Most importantly what made me proud is she has developed responsibilities and maturity at this age. Her girlish/childish behaviour is disappearing slowly but surely. She's unselfish and always think about her grandparents and her parents and siblings first. She even looks after her little cousins who she regarded as her brothers and sisters. You know why because she was close to all her uncles and aunties. I am always touched by her sense of responsibilities towards her atuk and Wan. Hey, you know she still sleeps with her Wan, betul2 bawah ketiak Wan....

As a child she was closed to me as I was still single at the time and she lived with my parents. She was the one that filled my time and my emptiness. She liked to be carried and I remember walking in KL city with her on my waist and that was at her preschool age. She was heavier than Emir but I was much younger so it was okay.

As she grows up off course sometimes her birthday slipped my mind and I hoped she understands. When I got married I couldn't spend time as I liked with her and her parents have also moved back to KL.

On her birthday she received the results for her Australian matriculations at Taylors and she passed it with flying colours way above her target. I felt most of all relieved not because of anything but because she could be happy and proud of herself. I know her success was driven by her sense of responsibilities towards her atuk, wan, parents, aunties and uncles who she felt have so much hope for her. She didn't want to fail us, and that's why she succeeded.

So I hope her journey forward will be as what she wanted and hope for. May she turned into a good responsible person full with wisdom, calmness and dedicated to her purpose.

By the way, Faizah, next time we meet, I need to have that half hour talk with you (that means I talk, you listen, hehe) to discuss the difference between "love" and "in love".