Thursday, November 20, 2008

me and the kids

1. Last night Emir surprised me by saying Mommy, I dont want to friend you. I heard it clearly. I smiled when I heard it. Normally this sentence was uttered by Fatini when she was upset with me. Now coming from Emir for the first time, it melted my heart. Emir is outpouring sentences after sentences out of his mouth nowadays. New vocabulary popped out everyday. Words and talks that he had obviously been absorbing all these times but was not able to express it clearly.  Hes in between being a baby and a boy now. Hes growing up fast, getting taller everyday and getting more and more cheekier. Nowadays hes been a little active and defiant of me. Everyday, when I put him in the car seat, belted and safely seated, five minutes after I drive he would be taking off the seat belt and doing flip flop in my moving car. It always drove me crazy especially when I drove in the traffic jam and in the rain. But recently I surrendered myself from scolding him. Instead I am planning something to make it harder for the seat belt to come off. I really have to outsmart this little smart boy.

2. Last night while I was downstairs washing the dishes and cooking spaghetti for the kids, Emir called me from upstairs repeatedly. I heard Fatini encouraged him call mommy louder Emir, louder! louder! She used to scream for me and I have reprimanded her a couple of times I didnt like her screaming for me from upstairs when I am downstairs. So knowing she couldnt do it, she asked Emir to do it.  So when I got upstairs, Fatini confronted me emotionally, Mommy, when Emir called you, why didnt you answer? You should answer when Emir called you, you made Emir sad and he will cry. and by this time she was crying already and so I hugged to comfort her. I looked at Emir who was actually happily watching TV totally ignoring me and unaffected by the screaming he made a minute ago while it was Fatini who was crying. She said I made Emir sad/cry when actually she was the one whos sad and was crying now. This is how she communicates to me her feelings.

3. This morning Fatini woke up as early as me at 5.30 am. She slept early last night. So I let her watched TV while I got myself ready with the school bags and myself. She asked to wear the school uniform from home and tie her hair. Normally I sent her still sleeping in her pajamas because it was too early for her to get ready in her school uniform. Most of her friends will arrive school already dressed in uniform as their parents sent them a bit later. So this morning she was proud that she arrive school in her school uniform. I am glad that this cheered her this morning. As she was not sleeping in the car, my journey to send her to school was filled with talks on why I love her which is her favourite subject in her conversation with me. I like to have this talk with her as a way of complimenting her good behaviour.