Monday, January 12, 2009

My Saturday morning

On last Saturday morning the kids started on this year Term 1 of the Speech & Drama class after completing Term 4 of last year. This class is actually called Edudrama, most people think I sent my children to learn to become actors but no so. Im not that ambitious!! This is nothing about acting to become actors. The classes are filled with educational programmes and also children are let to express themselves through their speech and action. They do some learning, play acting, reciting poems, speech etc which help in their language development as well as building up their confidence. Most of all the children learn via exciting play and they have enjoyed the class last year.

Both my kids were very excited to know they were resuming the class. Actually the schedule has slightly changed. Last year both of them were during the same hour but within different classes. This year Fatinis class starts early at 9.30 am and Emirs at 11.30 am. I managed to get the message through to Fatini but how could I explain it to young Emir. So I had to bring them together to the center at 9 am (Emir refused to be left at home so that Daddy can send him later). At the center Emir couldnt wait to go to his class and was already waiting outside his old classroom. Fatini went into her classroom and I could tell that she didnt expect new teacher and more new friends in the class. Emir didnt understand why his class didnt start. I managed to take him out as I decided to go for breakfast first while waiting for Fatinis class to finish and Emirs class to start.

So I went to Bangsar village and looking for a place to have coffee and breakfast. I didnt want to wander since its too early and most shops had not opened. So I settled for the nearest coffee shop which had the most customers and had coffee for myself and bought sandwich for Emir.

After an hour I returned to the center. Emir straight away went to his old studio room and was waiting and waiting by the door which didnt open. So finally when his class was to start, I brought him to his new class. Last year Emir was on accompanied program where I joined the class as well. But this year theres no more accompanied program for him as he is already big enough. But he didnt know that and was expecting me to be with him in the class. I brought him into the class but then sneaked out, and a couple of minutes later he came out to look for me and pulled my hand back in to join him. This happened twice. Finally the teacher closed the door and it was time for parents to leave the children. I sneaked out and stayed outside. I could hear him cried for me for the first 15 minutes and he was sitting near the door. Luckily when I peeked at him later, I saw that he was participating and seemed to be enjoying the class.

While waiting for his class to finish I sat down with the other parents whom I know from Emirs class last year. Since all of us have children of the same age, we talked excitedly about children and so on.

When Emir finally came out of his class, he was looking terribly happy with himself. Well, this is the story of my Saturday morning from 9 am to 1 pm and it will be like this for the whole year.