Friday, January 16, 2009

Money does the talk, let's take the walk

With the economy being on a slowdown and not showing its happy face, I felt compelled to join the forces to reduce spending. Some people said we should increase spending to boost the economy but I think no matter what I have to reduce my personal expenditure. I am saying this after spending a couple of hundreds buying necessities ,,,errrr, hmmm, clothes, at KLCC this afternoon. Well, my awareness is there so at least I am heading towards the right direction (excuses!). Well, I am planning to save more money this year. Wah, writing this makes me feel so good already.

For those who havent known yet (I just found out myself) the ASB dividend announced for last year saving is 8% plus 1% and Tabung Haji is 7%. I think thats really wonderful. I am so happy. On the other side who ever have invested in other public trust funds (like me) we have to exercise patience for the returns as the price just go nowhere but down and down. I dont even look at the price anymore to avoid unhappiness. Just revel in the ASB, TJ or other PNBs funds.

My efforts to save money have started slowly. My first effort was not such a big effort it seemed as I have been offered a gold visa credit card with no fees charged at all, i.e. no annual fees and in fact it gives me 0.5% rebate on retail purchases (is this to promote more spending? I guess so but I will try not to be so easily taken in). This will replace my existing visa credit card.

Secondly every time I get my salary, I will try to remember to run to the bank first to save a portion. Just put that $xxxx into the bank and forget it. This is most important. Normally people will save whatever is leftover at the end of the month. For me, if I do that I would not have any left to put away.

Most look forward to is to reduce or maintain body weight so that not only I will be happy with the way I would look ( ye ke?) but I wont also have any excuses to buy the more comfortable clothes just because my expanding waistline cannot fit in the existing attires I have in my current wardrobe.

Notwithstanding all the above I will not cut back certain expenses like my childrens education and development budget and maybe once a year familys vacation.

Lets see how much I can save this year for me to see only lah.  As people say, money makes more money and this is the easiest method huh???