Thursday, April 30, 2009

my attentiveness problem

Since there were so many talking by my young children to me and there’s equally if not more, work and tasks for me to do at that particular time, I sometimes response with “uhuh, uhuh” which was sort of agreement or acknowledgement to whatever being said without really hearing it or try to understand or empathize with it. So Emir has gotten fed up with me.
Recently I was clearing up the bathroom at the time and he was telling me something. So I started that" uhuh, uhuh" thing as my body and thoughts work hard to finish the chore at hand. Emir being a smart boy said to me in his dissatisfied voice, Mommy, I don’t want you to say uhuh, uhuh, when I talk to you.
Feeling amused I asked, What do you want me to say then? He said, I want you to say, (and he went) $j#%&%&GJG*&^Hjkhjk(*)($%^$# 6764jf928&&%&^%&, saying trains of sentences using words non comprehensive to me pretending like making an interesting conversation. He was relaying to me to talk properly back to him not just giving him curt replies.

So I changed my answering pattern the next time he asked me. One day I was rushing to sort out the clothings and he was talking to me at the same time so I began to say ok, ok, to whatever he’s saying. And he said to me, Mommy I don’t want you to say ok, ok. Don’t say ok, ok, to me when I talk to you.
What do you want me to say then? I again asked. I want you to say *&&%%%##$^%^dkfl(&*%*^$%#*^)(),..... (And he will make that long sentences again using his vocabularies acting out an interesting conversation.)

That’s how Emir my three year old plus expressed his dissatisfaction to me with regard to my attentiveness or as a matter of fact the lack of it.