Friday, April 17, 2009

Brother and Sister

Fatini & Emir are just 20 months apart in age. They are so close because they have nobody else but each other. They can strike a conversation between them, make jokes and laugh endlessly with each other. Sometimes I felt awed at their topic of conversation. It's amazing what they can talk about. They also care for each other. I saw one day how Emir patted Fatini while she was sleeping. And Fatini would cry if the teacher scolded Emir as reported to me by her teachers.
But there are times when they will argue. In fact so many times they argued. If Fatini say yes, Emir will say no. If one say right, the other will say wrong. Whatever they say, the other will say the opposite. The argument will get louder and louder.
As frequently as they are friends they will fight too. Sometimes it will start with one blocking the other's view. Usually Emir will start it. One said " excuse me" the other will ignore. Then it will escalate to pinching and scratching especially from Fatini's side who would get so upset over Emir's action. Emir used to pull her hair back but that habit had stopped fortunately. When they fought one or both will cry. It used to anger me when they fought. However I noticed that while my anger still lingered and even before I finished scolding them, they have become friends again and already laughing together. So I learned my lesson and tried to ignore their fight. Let it happen and they will become friends. I thought if I interrupt most often than not they will be friends but my behaviour will shed a bad light on myself in their eyes.
Last night, while I was downstairs they fought again over what matter i was not sure. When I came up I saw a couple of scratches on emir's jaw. I felt upset with Fatini but decided not to scold her. But I lectured her about the pain she caused Emir. She pretended not to listen. I asked her to say sorry to Emir and she refused. However Emir had now become proud of the scratches. He told us he will report to his teachers the next day. He named the teachers one by one.
This morning in the car, Emir highlighted us the scratches again, by showing proudly the side of the face which was scratched. So I lectured Fatini and showed her the awful looking scratches. I told her not to scratch her brother again as it caused pain and that will make Emir not as handsome anymore. She won't look at me as I talked. She kept very quiet and pretended not to listen. I told her next time Emir upset her, she must not hit Emir but to go to the toy room and find a toy or go to the book room and get a book. Then I stopped the lecture and continued driving.
Fifteen minutes later, out of the blue, she said in her soft voice, sorry Emir.... sorry Emir.... Her voice sounded trembled with regret. So she had been thinking to herself! She has been reflecting on my words even though she pretended not to listen.
So I asked Emir, did you hear Fatini said sorry Emir? Emir said, yes. And I asked them to hug. and they hugged and then started laughing again. That's the inseparable brother and sister.