Friday, May 15, 2009

Going out

I got a dinner and dance (company’s function) this Saturday night. Normally I will go with my husband. As in every year we have to arrange for child care. Normally we called my sister in law (my husband’s sister) who was still single to look after my kids. But she just got married so I don’t want to call her. But I also have my other sister in law (my brother’s wife) living not too far away since last year. She has no problem to take the kids in. The problems lie with the kids especially Fatini when I told them that I have to go to ‘work’ on Saturday night. Why do you have to go to work at night, mommy? asked Fatini with teary eyes. It didn’t make any sense to her that all of a sudden I’m going to work at night. I didn’t want to lie to her but she’s too small to understand that Mommy want to go have a party. I mean this is the only night in a year that I go out without my kids. Yes, I never have parties since I got them, oh yes, only kids’ birthday parties. That is fun too!

My husband said that to lessen the impact on the kids, maybe he should stay home to look after the kids. That means I am going alone and I really don’t mind since I know at least some of the people. I have asked my SIL to come with me because I have booked for two places. She was reluctant since she doesn’t know anybody and hasn’t got a dress to wear. She even told me that there will be AF final that night on TV. Well, I never watch AF but she is fanatic on it. The dress can be bought since there’s still time but she’s right about not knowing anybody. It would be awkward to her.

Every year I would sneak out of the house quietly and left the kids in the house without them noticing my absence for another half hour or so. This year it would be different as I would have to send them to their cousins’ house and leave them there. I can imagine the scene they will make, Fatini’s tears, Emir’s screaming, etc etc. They love to be with their cousins Nabila and Hakeem but my kids are used to having me around outside school hours. Deviations from routine really worry my kids. Or maybe it worries me too!

I have another day to determine whether I’m going alone.