Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Emir & Taekwondo

Since Emir has so much energy and I wanted to do something about it in a way, I told his guardian at the child care to enroll him into the afternoon Taekwondo class. Actually the worry is he is still too small to be able to take instructions and I guess they don’t want disturbance to the class. So they put him into trial class at first. This had been a month or so already. The report I got is he only follow the stretching instructions but he came out of the class drenched and soaked in sweat like he’s done a marathon.
I always asked him, “Emir! Show mommy what you did in Taekwondo.” And he will sit down, put his feet together and bend down (stretching) then he gets up, kick his leg to the front, to the back. Shout “HUH!! Then stand straight and bow.
And that’s it! All in 15 seconds or so.
Anyway as I watched him I feel very proud of him.

What I want to achieve for him is actually for him to learn self discipline, confidence, concentration, respect and of course physical as well as mental strength which Taekwondo is. And it's okay to start young.
For me Taekwondo is good for both boys and girls, but I have asked Fatini whether she likes to join the class but she said, “ Taekwondo is for boys”. Okay, I could see she has no interest and I also think she’s too fragile for it ( and I feel the guilt of being gender discriminative here).