Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Durian

Last week my mother called. Just to inform me the durians are falling off the tree. Come home if you can, my mum said. It's the season.
Actually, there's only one durian tree behind my mum's house in Melaka. There used to be two, I don't know what happened but it was chopped off one day. So there's one left now. But it bears hundreds of fruits when the season comes. The tree has been there since at least 15-20 years already. The durians from the tree is also really tasty at least to us or whoever likes the durians. I loved it. i have developed the taste for durian some years ago.
So not wanting to miss this once a year durian feast at home town, we decided to drive home Saturday night. 2 hours drive for durian, not bad... we plan to come back to KL on Sunday the next day.
For my children, it's balik kampung and they were delighted to see Wan (my mum) and my mum to see the grandchildren. And the next day for breakfast mum makes delicacies with durian sweet sauce specially for the precious son-in-law (my husband). And we ate fresh durians afterwards and happily smell of durians all the way back to KL.
So i guess we have to wait another year for this occasion again, i.e. balik kampung for durians....