Monday, August 24, 2009

The first few days

This month of Ramadhan will require me to tune in into new routines. Just a bit of adjustment. That is sleep late and wake up early. Not too much but an hour later and an hour earlier, respectively. Then make up the sleep deficiency on weekends. That will do, I thought.

I was lucky that the 1st Ramadhan fell on Saturday. So happily, I woke up early for sahur that morning, hoping I could sleep in the afternoon. So afterwards, I did my routine cleaning, prepared breakfast for the kids, even got time to read my novel by some impressive amount of pages (before I couldn’t even get past a page at a time due to interuptions)

So while waiting for the kids at their routine Saturday morning classes, I was beginning to feel a bit heavy eyed and drowsy. I couldn’t wait to get home, I reckoned I had a couple of hours to sleep that afternoon before continuing with my chores for the day. That would be, oh! so leisurely. Nap during the day…a rare indulgence in my life. What better way to spend in the afternoon at home.

We got home after noon, and I so anxious to start napping, quickly fed the kids. Then I prepared milk, darkened the living room and switched on the aircondtion. “Okay, everybody time for nap… “ I announced. 1 hour later nobody slept yet!. Never mind, I thought, I will sleep and they can continue with their playing.

I thought I'd just slept a minute when Fatini woke me up, Mommy, I need to poo poo. Okay, I told her to go…. Then I went back to sleep. Another minute, Emir woke me up, “Mummy, Fatini is finished, she wants to wash” I saw Fatini got a helper to wake me up! I got up and did the necessary things. “Don’t call me again, mommy going to sleep a while, okay….?”, I pleaded and hoped.

But, hope was just a hope, another minute, MOMMY! Then another five minute, Mommy!, Another 5 minute again, Mommy !

Oh my god…when was the last time I could get a good nap? Honestly, I can’t remember. Anyway, I thought I’ve had enough nap for the day. I can always try again tomorrow., I concluded before I got up.

But Sunday was the same story. Somehow the kids didn’t nap at all over the weekends. Normally they did, but not this weekend. They were so engrossed playing with the toys and with each other and made heaps and heaps of mess. But every minute or two, for sure there will be “ Mommy !” or “ MOMMY!!!” at the top of their lungs. So, I gave up the idea of naps forever from my mind. Maybe in a couple more years,…haha

On the positive side, we broke the fast together at home for the past two days. That’s one of the things I love about Ramadhan, we always want to break fast with family.

We also went to Teraweh congregation at the small mosque located just in the vicinity behind our house. Emir has grown up and followed the father to join the males section. According to the father, who relayed to me so proudly, Emir completed 8 plus 3 rakaats of the prayer. He was not being playful, surprisingly. Fatini on the other hand was with me and she did marvelously 6 rakaats, It’s too hot, mommy!, she complained of the garments. “ I want to eat, she whined next. I had thoughtfully brought some goodies for her in my bag and she had her desires taken care of and I could have my peace.

I could see them growing up. Last year, they didn’t even bother to join in and just dashed here and there, mostly moving back and forth between me at the back and hubby at the front of the mosque. This year, they seemed to proceed naturally to the next level. They know nothing about the fasting yet even though Fatini certainly and excitedly knows what the Raya means.

This month promises to be a good one for me.