Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Never ending story

Last weekend I was at my hometown. All my siblings were there. So there were lots of children. In between us there were two maids, which is my mom’s new maid and my SIL’s maid. My SIL’s maid is young, always smiling sweetly and seemed to be good and patient with children from my view and others. I had asked her to feed my children whenever she can. The new maid seemed rough and a bit calculative when asked to do anything that she didn’t consider her scope of work.

So one of the evenings, I needed Fatini and Emir to be bathed since they were sweaty and it’s almost dusk So I was looking for this young maid. I call her names but there was no answer.
So I went to a room, It was close. So I opened it, without knocking in a sudden move… and I caught her in action!
She certainly didn’t look sweet at the time when she was being rough with my 6 year old niece. Her voice and face were completely different from what she showed to us. She was shouting harshly (herdik) and throwing shirts to the floor near my niece in a very rude and rough manner. And I looked at my niece’s face which showed something like it’s not unusual to be roughened like that.

I never thought this was possible coming from this maid! She was so shocked and her face turned pale as she saw me. She put her hands to her chest and certainly looked scared. I pretended nothing happened. But I thought she saw that my face has changed but still pretending like I saw nothing I had to continue asking her whether she can bathe Fatini and Emir. In a way I regretted opening the door to find that kind of situation. I was thinking well, all this time I thought it was my fault for being so suspicious of my maid, now it seemed that others who trust their maid completely may be careless as well.

I thought I would not tell my SIL straight away as I am afraid she would know I tell. But the next day I couldn’t contain it anymore so I told my SIL.

Another story was my mother’s previous maid who worked for two months before my mother sent her back to the agency due to extreme laziness. When I saw her she seemed nice but extremely slow.
Since she was not functioning my mother decided to return her. However she refused to get into the car. Even though my mother threatened to call the police she refused to obey. She seemed adamant to stay. So my mother called my second sister who lived nearby. My sister came and as she was bigger, she took the maid’s hand and pulled her (at that time the maid was in the bathroom washing her clothes) straight into the car. She was not given time to pack. From the bathroom straight into the car and returned to the agency. The story didn’t end there. Upon arrival of the new maid who cleaned up the store in the kitchen, they found properly packed and kept well hidden was my sister’s handphone (she had to buy new one when it was lost), my mother’s watch which was a present from my niece to her grandma (my niece bought another one to replace), my niece’s pretty t-shirts and my mother’s wardrobe drawer keys. Luckily my mother didn’t keep her gold in the house.
The other day the agency called my mom saying that the maid has asked to find her handphone and watch which was left at my mom’s house. What a nerve! My mother couldn’t believe her ears and told the whole story to the agency who kept quiet.

Can you imagine what these maids up to? Being trusted with our belongings and children?