Thursday, January 7, 2010

Little problem

I had no problems so far when dropping the children at school but this morning, Emir, upon waking up in the car refused to go to school and his excuse was he wanted to follow mummy. He didn’t want to get off from the car at the school. He seemed really adamant not to come down from the car.

I hated to lie to my children. I feel guilty when i did it but I didn’t want to physically force him. So I told him that I needed to see his teacher to inform her that he’s not going to school and I asked him to come with me. Being smart, he asked me to go by myself and leave him in the car to wait. I made excuses about not leaving children alone in the car. He didn’t budge. I told him, "Papa said to me, I cannot leave the children alone in the car. It’s too dangerous!" He pondered a while maybe thinking that’s his daddy's instruction, maybe he thinks I was right after all, he finally obeyed and came with me.

In the school, he hanged on to me, refusing to let me go.

To say he was not happy at the school may not be correct because it was only yesterday that he didn’t want to come home from school when I asked him to leave. Every evening I waited half an hour to get my children ready to leave for home.

Nevertheless Emir’s behaviour this morning worried me. Because it was not normal for him. He was really crying when the teacher restrained him from following me back to the car. He was never that difficult to be left before. Was he sick? Was he missing me after spending days and nights continuously with me during the holiday? Was he tired? Was he having a bad time in school? All kind of questions raced through my mind.

I hope he’s okay. I called this morning and one of his teachers said he’s okay and had already played with his friend. That kind of calmed me down a bit even though I still worried. I also worried that he thinks I had tricked and lied to him.

The thing about Emir is, he’s going through his “terrible 4” time afetr passing the "terrible 3" time....after passing the " terrible 2".... ! He’s a bit naughty now and more playful than before. He also seemed to have this attitude that if he thinks he’s not being treated right by his sister or friends, he would pull their hair or pinch them. Maybe these were done out of frustration from a small boy. He got punished every time though. Not severe punishment but out time and writing sentences. Maybe he got punished too often and he started not to enjoy school anymore. Or maybe this is just a phase that will pass. Well, these are just my guesses. I will certainly discuss this with his teachers later today. I will certainly try to reduce scolding him for a while for small misbehaviour.

I really hope he's okay now.