Monday, October 19, 2009

Meet again

Last Saturday, we went to a wedding in the afternoon in KL. The wedding was nice except that I heard the wedding had no blessing from the bridegroom's family, (how come?) therefore there was no representative from the male's side. What a pity as it was a beautiful wedding. I was imagining how the bridegroom must have felt getting married in the absence of his parents, and I was wondering what could be more important than giving your son your blessing and presence on his special day.

Then we went to a Hariraya invitation of my long lost friend who I got in contact with recently after so many years. She has recently become my colleague’s neighbour and had by chance mentioned about me. Then we followed by a phone call. I was quite close to her back in school as we represented school in one of the activities that required us to work together for 2 years in form 4 and 5. The last time I saw her was after our SPM result. After which everybody including her disappeared from my life.

I was so happy to finally meet her and she couldn’t believe I could come to her fabulous house. She looked exactly the same to me as she was back then.

There also, I met my history teacher when I was in lower secondary class. It was an additional pleasant surprise. For I kept on saying, I couldn’t have recognized him should I met him elsewhere. To me, he looked totally different (my memory about him was a bit different) but my friend thought he looked exactly the same and they had met accidentally anyway and she had recognized him immediately. He’s a big man now being a director of one of the government branches. I still remember fondly of some teachers who I really want to meet again but the opportunity has not come yet.

Wow, I was talking non stop to them, I hardly ate anything. It’s like me being carried back to my school days. My former teacher saw Fatini and remarked that that’s how I looked back then. Really? Fatini is now confirmed takes after me, he he.

I was in a boarding school throughout my secondary years and I guess maybe I didn’t really enjoy being there that when the time came, I could hardly wait to leave the school finally and never looked back. I did very well in school though scoring highly in all the public exams considering those times we didn't have so many "A" scorers. Anyway by fate, my destiny in tertiary education took quite a different route from the rest of my friends. When I worked, I met none of my secondary school friends either. We had no internet facilities back then nor did I have a handphone. Not to mention I only had Astro connected to my home in 2003!

Now with facebook, internet network, etc, etc I began to get in touch as one by one contacted me or I contacted them. Well, better late them never. Meeting my secondary school friends feels different from meeting other friends because I grew up with them. My most sensitive tender teenage years were with them. Days and nights were spent with them without our parents. Most teenage problems and all heartaches that accompanied it were solved by ourselves. We cried alone ourselves and managed our growing up years together. There was no supporting words from parents in their absence. Our life was guarded by wardens, teachers and prefects. Peers pressure was so felt back then but friendships formed were also strong.

Now decades later we meet again. I really like to meet more of my old friends. Only time will tell.