Friday, November 13, 2009

Not so smoothly

I had planned Emir’s Birthday party for tomorrow afternoon. So I made arrangement starting about two and half weeks ago. The invitations went out and since I got very good responses from his school mates and there are limited spaces for the party, my invitees were limited to the school mates and cousins. I had worried about too many children and not enough provisions as almost everyone invited save a couple confirmed their attendance.

So I maximized my order of food and children places. I also added more activities for the children. I bought and prepared the party goodie bags. I thought everything went quite smoothly by beginning of this week and was just getting ready for the party day. My children were excited. Everyday they were asking about the upcoming party.

Until a couple of days ago… when things were supposed to go smoothly something unexpected just have to happen. One of the classes was infected with Hands Foot and Mouth disease. One by one, parents called me cancelling the attendance as their children was infected. I felt sorry for the children, but at the same time I couldn’t help feeling disheartened and disappointed that things didn’t go as smoothly. Why did it have to happen around this time? I felt like crying. So far about 6 of them had called to cancel and it's just days away from the party. I have about twenty more children in total, and I’m waiting nervously for any further bad news.

I really hope no more sick children. I hope everything will go well tomorrow. It’s Emir’s first party! I just want it to be memorable for him.